Friday 27 January 2012

Alice in Wonderland

I finally got the opportunity to venture up to Liverpool at the weekend to visit the Alice exhibition at Tate Liverpool before it finished. As I have been a massive fan of both the Alice stories and Surrealism for some time now this was right up my street. What I found interesting about this exhibition was its focus on the influence the books have had on artists and surrealists in particular. What I didn't realise was how highly Lewis Carroll was regarded within the British Surrealist Group, naming him their 'surrealist ancestor'. The show was packed with work by Max Ernst, Dorethea Tanning, Peter Blake and Dali to name a few. I was shocked to find that Dali had collaborated with Walt Disney to produce a short animation called Destino http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GFkN4deuZU



It was also very interesting to see the mock up and drawings for the original book by Carrol, Alice Underground, showing how the story evolved into what we know it as now.

No comments:

Post a Comment